Scout Officially Enters Big-Girl Territory

In case you can’t tell from the post title, Scout passed our late-night test with flying colors. When we first attempted this on Friday night, we put Scout to bed as usual (by pointing at the crate and saying, “Go to bed.”) The only difference was, we didn’t close the crate door. We turned off the lights and crawled into bed, and about a half-second later Scout bounded out of the crate like, “Holy cow, you forgot to close the door!” She came and gave B and I both goodnight kisses and nudged us with her wet nose, and then walked in circles around the bedroom for about 15 minutes while she tried to figure out what was going on and what she was supposed to be doing. Then, finally, she curled up on the floor next to my side of the bed.

The next thing I knew, I was getting puppy kissed in the face at 5:30 am. “Time to get up!” said Scout. I groggily got out of bed, put her in her crate, and said, “Maybe in an hour, kiddo.” 5:30 was way too early.

The same process, complete with the 5:30 wake-up call, happened on Sunday morning. But by Sunday night we’d purchased a bed from Target and put it next to the bed, so that when I hopped into bed Sunday night (with Shark Week on the television, of course. Zoey and I are huge fans :) ), Scout knew right where to go. She curled up on the bed and looked as happy as could be. And in the morning, instead of waking me up when she woke, my alarm woke me and I rolled over and looked down at her, awake and waiting on her bed patiently like a good dog.

We figure it’s a nice balance for her to be free to stretch out at night considering she’s crated during the day while we’re both away, and since we’ve moved she’s in the crate a fair amount more than she used to be, and we’re slightly guilty about this. Until Scout’s older, though, we don’t trust her enough to leave her free all day. Think of what she’d eat! The other day I walked into the foyer and she was nose-deep in a plant, mounging on the soil as if it was chicken picatta. No, she’s definitely not ready to be alone unsupervised for 8 hours straight. We’ll take this one day at a time, baby steps, and she’ll get there soon enough. Goodness knows she’s growing fast. It’s August 1. Pretty soon she’ll turn one!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: